Wednesday, April 22, 2009

April's weather nothing to snore at

The guy in the aqua Statue of Liberty suit was madly waving procrastinators into the store front tax office since early March. But with April 15 fast receding into the distance, he's been gone for a while now. That means D(eparture)-day is less than 40 days away. It's been a bit of a struggle the past several weeks getting in the training I would like because of April's March-like weather. I did manage my second century, the annual SPOT ride, which felt a little better than the first. Of course the warmer less windy day and the good sized group that pulled us all along definitely helped.

Most of the bike parts and accessories I will need are now purchased and safely in my collection box in the corner. The next round of instructions has arrived from America by Bicycle and I've filled out their bike prep checklist, the travel insurance waiver form, and the general information form. The latter included a potpourri of questions including this one: "Do you snore?". It had a note next to it explaining that if you do snore, America by Bicycle will not allow you to register for triple room occupancy. We'll see how truthful my two roomies and I turn out to be.

Most everyone has snoring stories to share. My sweetie tells about childhood road trips to grandma from the family farm in Connecticut out to St. Louis. These always required an overnight stop which meant squeezing five kids plus mom and dad into one motel room. Sometime during the night, Marcia would awaken to her mom's comforting but insomniating snoring . After what felt like half the night to a kid, she would tip-tap her way over sleeping siblings to go nestle into the bathtub and spend the rest of the night behind a closed door. Whenever she tells that story, I always tell her that she has so many of her mom's good qualities. And I was indeed blessed to have one of the world's kindest and most gracious mothers-in-law!

Well, must go. Our Wednesday night ride is on and I'm off to load the bike, fill the bottles, dress in 3 layers and pick up my buddy, Terry. We'll soon be off to ToM's West Jeff ride to face the 20 mph SW wind and the sporadic showers WBNS forecasts.




No comments:

Post a Comment