Saturday, April 4, 2009

Pain to Train

It's been a busy week preparing for this X-country trip. Bike Source's 20% off Spring Sale provided the impetus to purchase a new ultegra 27 sprocket rear cassette; a new chain and an armadillo tire for the rear wheel. The biking wardrobe was embelished with a pair of riding shorts, a couple pairs of socks and arm warmers. Still needed is bar tape, spokes and spare cleats.

But conditioning is as important as parts and apparel. Quality miles to build up endurance for back to back to back 80 or 100 mile days. Hill training to prepare for the climbs up from the Pacific to the Rocky Mountain passes. Grinding miles into the wind to mentally prepare for those endless horizon to horizon Kansas miles. Tough weather miles to get used to riding in the rain, the heat and possible high altitude sleet.

This week I got in two spinning sessions plus two good rides. Our weekly wednesday evening ride covered 34 miles including a bit of interval training thrown in. But it was today's century that revealed most clearly where I was: both a wake-up call and note of encouragement. First I was encouraged that I finished with a respectable time for me on a very blustery, windy tough day on my first century in almost a year. The results were to a considerable degree due my buddies, Dave Levy and Tom Wise, leading far more than their share and at the last 10 miles, slowing things down some to lend me their wheel when I started fading. The motivation to ride faster than I normally would coupled with the encouragement and the long pulls made for a very high quality ride for me. Thanks guys!

But I also realized that putting lots of days like this together will take more preparation. I am hoping to do 5 more centuries in the next couple of months. I plan to force myself to ride a slower pace than the one I'll be tempted to keep early on the ride when I am fresh. By averaging 13 or 14 instead of 16 or 17 will hopefully let me sustain the distances day after day. I will also need to stop to stretch regularly, eat at regular intervals and perhaps most importantly, force myself to drink all the time.

We've also sorted out some how to leverage this ride to further the PwP mission. We will be publicizing the ride to PwP riders and supporters to attract per mile sponsorships. Ten cents per mile nets out to a $385 pledge -- if I finish this thing that is! The PwP website and rider letters will descrbe the particulars. We also hope to be able to invite riders to join the x-country ride for a day or part of a day as the tour comes through Ohio. Overnight stops in this area include Richmond Indiana (Wed July 15) just across the western Ohio border, then Marysville (Thur July 16), Wooster (Fri July 17) and Niles (Sat July 18). So let me know (czeidner@columbus.rr.com) if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment