Saturday, March 28, 2009

Preparing the Body and the Bike

The most I've ever ridden is about 500 miles for one week when some biking buddies and I did the Bicycle Tour of Colorado. At the end of day 7 I was done! We had a couple of centuries, lots of climbs and weather extremes. But it was only 7 days of riding after all with one rest day thrown in to boot. So now I've got to replicate that 7 times to make 3850 miles in 7 weeks.

I'd spent a good amount of time preparing the bike for that trip. My good friend Dave Levy really helped in getting the bike set up and ready for the mountains by installing a compact crank and recommending a 27 tooth rear sprocket which made for a great combination for climbing without losing too much on the top end. So my trusty 3 year old Cannondale is set up to be versatile enough to go coast to coast. It should still be sound enough to hold up under the rigours of the miles, the varied road conditions, the climbing and descents and the variations in heat and cold and wet and dry we'll encounter.

But there are some things I will need to tend to by way of preparation. The rear cassette has over 5000 miles on it so I'll replace it and the chain along with it. The rear tire is fairly new but it will go to the front and a new Armadillo goes on the back. I need to re-wrap the handlebars and buy spokes and tubes. Hopefully that will do it.

The body's another matter. Replacement parts don't cut it here. Last year's 3500 miles was the most for me in one season. Most were "quality" miles trying to keep up with some of my riding buddies over Ohio and Wisconsin's hills. Not a lot of long climbs, but plenty of rolling terrain and straining into the wind. And then 5 months of 3 days a week spinning waiting out Ohio's winter. And now finally back outside again with plans for 3 rides per week including 6 centuries, some medium distance 60 or 70 milers and plenty of 40 mile evening rides.

Since my outdoor riding season began when daylight savings time started, I've ridden about 250 miles. Not great, but a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment