Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 18: Montrose to Gunnison : Rocky Mountain High and going higher














Miles:66 Total trip miles:1330 riding time: 5:11 avg speed: 12.8 max speed: 34 weather: sunny, high in high '70's with stiff headwind at first and then clear sailing. Alt change: 5000' climbing, Flats 1 today for total of 8 -- still one behind Hans but gaining! Pictures are here.

Last night's route rap made it plain we would be doing plenty of climbing today and the first of it would be into a hefty headwind so we were prepared for what lay ahead. The "magnificent 7" of us who rode the '06 BCT, rode this stretch in reverse: Gunnison to Montrose. That way it's mostly down hill and with a tailwind as I recall.

The day started very interestingly at breakfast already as I got a chance to talk with Carole from Gettysburg. She told me about her sister's family of 5 kids including Carole's niece Kendra who has severe case of CP. Kendra is in her mid 20's and living at home with her family. Carole's sister has been unable to let Kendra go to live in a home and Carole has been an integral part of the care structure for the family over the years. The challenges of caring for Kendra, who needs to be lifted and fed and is bound to a wheelchair that she can control through a head controlled device are considerable. She also has a head controlled device she uses with a computer to communicate as she is unable to speak. She is very aware and understands. I found it so touching when Carole told me that Kendra was in a relative's wedding. Kendra is fitted with a baclofin pump which helps her considerably -- the kind that was pioneered at Pittsburgh Children's Hospital by Dr. Albright and his team -- funded in part through PwP raised funds! Pete, you and the many volunteers who work so hard to keep this going, should take note and be gratified around your accomplishment!!!

Soon breakfast was over and we were back in the midst of the morning routine. Pack up the suitcases making sure all is in its slot and spot so nothing stays behind and thumpety bump the bags and bike down the stairs from the second floor and out to the front of the motel. Then find a pump and get the pressure in both tires up to 115 lbs -- especially important this morning since I had changed my rear tire the night before with hopes of reducing the flats. My rear tire had been showing signs of wear after the first 1200 miles and had some good nicks in it. I had one spare with me. Then load the luggage when the trailer opens at 6:45 sharp and initial the sign out sheet. Get out the mirror from my front bag along with the sun glasses and clamp them in place and drop the windbreaker into the drop box since it feels plenty warm already. In the midst of all that there's a loud BANG, a little like a gunshot and everyone looks startled for a moment. Someone's tire has blown -- and yes, you guessed it. Mine.

As it turned out, I had pinched the tube with the stiff new tire and when I had pumped it full this morning, it did not take long before this infraction was reported to all within earshot. I realized I should have used the anti monkey butt talcum powder to smooth out the new tire as Jim had when he changed his. But I had not and now paid the price. Sean came to my rescue, both by assuring me this was easy to have done and by very carefully installing a new tube. Great guy in spite of the picture he took of himself. To further soothe my bruised ego, Brian and Bob the younger also had flats so I was not completely alone in this. And I did find a "goats head" (tiny thorn) embedded and barely visible in my front tire which I extracted with the tweezers Michelle always has handy.

Finally I was on the road again -- pretty much the last one to leave. Our little group had decided to leave on our own today since it is very hard to travel together with the wind, the climbs, the heavy flow of bikes and the gorgeous photo ops that awaited us on this route. After only a few miles, I encountered my new friend Chris by the road side with a Motorcycle Trooper marking his place with flashers. Chris was on his cell phone calling for a BCT SAG. He had stopped more times than the miles he'd ridden that morning trying to find relief for his ailing derriere -- to no avail. He does not have the luxury the rest of us have to stand on his bike and take the pressure off and was really hurting and feeling conflicted about what to do. I told hm he'd already accomplished a huge amount and affirmed his decision to add today to tomorrow's already planned tour rest day so he could finish the last two days. I pushed on just before the SAG came.

Chris was definitely not alone in DNFing this day as we saw numerous BCT vehicles laden with bicycles and riders. They had a tougher day than we because our Gunnison end point was only a turn arrow on the road for them. Their destination was Crested Butte which lay 30 miles and a long climb beyond Gunnison.

The ride was gorgeous with green, mountains, buttes, and the beautiful lake along the GUnnison river. The headwind subsided after the first climb just as Michelle said it would and even turned to a bit of a tailwind over the last 2 miles or so. My very heavy legs and tired body found enough energy to pick up the pace from the mid teens to the low twenties when the pace lines started zipping by and I attached myself to one for most of the last 20 miles.
When I passed Chuck and Zero in the last 5 miles before Gunnison, I backed off and rolled in with them. After checking in at the Days Inn, we got back on the bikes and rode in to Gunnison for lunch. Another great day of riding in the Rockies!

Tomorrow it's on to Salida a mere 60-some miles off -- BUT Monarch Pass at 11,200, stand between us and our destination. Climb on!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, but the ride down from the top of Monarch Pass into Salida is beautiful. Love following you on the trip.

    Dave Rule

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great descriptions of the many small but necessary preparations for the day, routine going well, and then BANG!! Nice that there is always someone to "come along side", eh? That uphill climb went on FOREVER...am admiring that you kept at it and made it!! Heavy legs---hope they let you sleep. Had to laugh at Bob's sour look at his tube, to match yours from the day before...humor does wonders for the spirit, doesn't it? After being part of a BIG group---with all the chaos it brings, it must give you a sigh of relief that you have your smaller group to continue on with....toward Indy! Can't wait...XOX YOO

    ReplyDelete