Friday, June 5, 2009

Flying High

One last ride with the Cyclonics gang Thursday evening after getting rained out for our usual Wednesday evening time. Chris and Ben, two 20 year olds joined us old folks and Chris Mondiek especially, who's been racing all Spring, showed us what fast looked like.

After the ride we assembled for dinner at the Gooseneck Tavern sharing experiences and plans for the summer and plenty of well wishing, God speed, safety and good times for the x-country trek. Great to have such supportive and encouraging buddies!!

My stuff is laid out ready for assembly in the suit case and my back pack. Instructions from America by Bicycle were to lay out stuff two days early and then after a good night's rest take half of what was laid out and return that to the dresser, get another night's sleep and again remove half of what remained. Only then, pack what is left! So that is where I am with packing. Checked UPS tracking this morning and found the bike had arrive (safely I assume) at the motel.

Marcia and I spent a relaxing morning together and then hosted visits from our son Andy and his wife Jocey who brought an early Father's Day card and a large can of Monkey Butt powder. Sweethearts both of them expecting our first grandson July 22. If on time I'll be pedaling through NY. We are all hoping it IS on time so Marcia can be there for the arrival and still drive out to meet me in Portsmouth on July 28. Quite a conflict for my loving wife and doting first time grandma to be.

Daughter Sarah and sister-in-law Andrea are here for Jocey's baby shower so my last evening here includes seeing them before setting the alarm for 4:00 am tomorrow so Marcia can drive me out for my 6:00 am flight. Cathy and Dave stopped in and gifted me with an encouraging card and a box of Clif Bars. They have both been an inspiration, encouragers, trainers and tipsters all along.

Hope I can get some sleep with all the anticipation and excitement! Next blog: California.

No comments:

Post a Comment