Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 2: Vallejo to Sacramento -- Jelly Belly Field Trip

Miles: 72,5; time: 4:30 avg speed: 16.0; weather: 70's and low 80's. Blue skies and a brisk breeze from the west. Pictures are here.

More fun than anyone ought to be allowed to have again today! Ride leader Gerard took any takers on a little field trip to the Jelly Belly factory not too far afield from the route. Though I do not like jelly beans I did very much enjoy the tour. Boxes stacked high with every color and flavor imaginable. Conveyor belt systems that make many roller coasters look mundane. Robots that stack, lift, swivel and finally wave enthusiastically to the gallery of visitors touring the plant. Jelly bean sorters that separate the right sized ones from the Belly Flops. Big steel and copper (for chocolates) boilers that mix the corn starch and the sugar to form the inside base. Machines that form the beans, add and polish the outer layer, stencil on the JB logo on each bean and packaging machines of all kinds.

JB develops new flavors all the time, some that take their flavor scientists months to perfect before letting them loose on all you jelly bean connoisseurs. Third best selling flavor is licorice which is really baaad in my book. They do support lots of racing teams including one biking team and will sell you one of their many jerseys for lots more money than I would pay. So for all you jelly bean lovers and JB Jersey wearers -- this blog's for you.

But the riding was the most delicious part of the day. A great climb up the American Canyon road to lift us up to 1100', a long section of abandoned highway that had ruts and bumps aplenty, two fence crossings as the pictures attest, some gravel, long bike path stretches, and about 40 miles of flat CA farm country not too unlike what we get in OH, with a steady tailwind to push us along.
At one point Gerard, began to pull away slowly from the rest of the Jelly Belly field trippers and so I thought I would crank a bit to catch him, which I eventually did. By the time I panted that I was on his wheel we were doing about 25. He turned around so briefly that I could not tell if his look was mild surprise or amusement, but in any case our speed began to climb steadily with me hanging on for dear life. I knew I was in trouble when he shifted up a click or two, hunched over the bars and began to step on it for real. At 30 I panted "See you later" and gave in to the inevitable. Point made and Gerard backed off to let me catch up a ways up the road.

Before blogging off for the day, I want to share a bit about Rick, (see pictures) who fell and dislocated his shoulder and collar bone the first day out. Rick had been anticipating this ride perhaps even longer than I had. He had lost 100 pound, quit smoking and started riding some years ago with the encouragement of John, his brother who has ridden for some time and so wanted to share the experience with Rick. Rick's wife had worked many extra hours so he would be able to fulfill this dream. Rick's church family including a bunch of kids were rooting for him and counting on him to complete this journey. But with all of that fuel for disappointment, Rick has been so positive and encouraging, taking the perspective that God will work this for good in some way and that he is to praise Him in spite of the loss, believing God will leverage it for good. Last night, Rick asked if there would be any that may want to stay after our route rap meeting so that he could pray for safety and for blessing on the rest of this trip. About 15 riders joined Rick as he prayed.

So much and so long for tonight. Tomorrow is another short day before the real clmbing into the the Sierras and Lake Taho begins.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha...I love the pictures, especially the one with your new helmet. It's great hearing that God is all ready being glorified on this trip. Looking forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the pic of you at lunch---all the fun and enjoyment showing in your smile---worth it all for me!

    I have the feeling you will take Gerard on another day......
    Miss you and LOVE you, YOO

    ReplyDelete